Thetford Select Board Meeting


THETFORD SELECTBOARD MINUTES

April 12, 2004

PRESENT: Mark McMahon, Mary Spata, Mike Brown, Marilyn Cook (clerk)

GUESTS: Dwight Judd, Tim Gibbs- Road Foreman

Meeting called to order at 6:36pm.

Dwight Judd with concerns about roads, especially New Boston Rd. Tim Gibbs addressed his plan to address roads. Selectboard agrees that the roads can be graded now. Road Crew is down two positions, which affects their ability to get roads done right away.

Mr. Judd left the meeting at 6:45 pm.

A property owner on Sanborn Rd made a written request for the town to erect caution signs for horse riders on Sanborn and Cadwell Roads.

Road Crew employees are requesting approval for the use of comp time in lieu of overtime pay. Mr. Gibbs and Jill Graff, Treasurer will coordinate a tracking system.

Paving projects for 2004 include Tucker Hill Road from the bridge to Rte 113, the end of Barker Rd and Robinson Hill Rd. The Selectboard signed a grant application to Vermont Department of Transportation for assistance with Tucker Hill Rd, the only road eligible for state funding.

Mr. Gibbs received three applications for road crew positions. He will move forward with at least one.

Betsy Edmonds and Sue Gault joined the meeting at 7 pm.

Selectboard signed driveway permits for Lot #2 Godfrey Rd. to Thomas and Cynthia Briggs, the end of Picknell Rd to Larry and Maureen Morse, and 1225 Tucker Hill Rd. to Robert Liebman and Janet Sims.

Two permits were left unsigned because they were not under the Selectboard's jurisdiction.

Timeline for Town Hall driveway is July/August. Town road sign replacements have been ordered.

Mr. Gibbs left the meeting at 7:20 pm.

Ms. Edmonds and Ms. Gault in to discuss the Thetford Center Town Common project. They would like a Selectboard and Planning Board Representative. Mary Spata is designated as Selectboard Representative. Chuck Wise of Two Rivers Ottauquechee Regional Commission is interested in coordinating the project. He provided a letter that the Selectboard could submit to proceed with his coordination of two Thetford projects, the second on Thetford Hill. The next meeting will be held on April 27, 2004 at 7pm at Thetford Center Community Building. Ms. Edmonds and Ms. Gault left the meeting at 7:30 pm.

A Thetford resident joined the meeting at 7:25 pm with concerns about unregistered vehicles on several Pero Hill properties. It is legal for residents to have up to three unregistered vehicles on their property. A question about a home occupancy permit/parking safety for the Davidonis property on Sawnee Bean Rd was also raised. The Selectboard will look further into these concerns. The resident left the meeting at 7:40pm.

Jill Graff, Treasurer joined the meeting at 7:40 pm and reported that she is up-to-date on accounts receivable and payable. A timesheet review was completed and discussion of how best to manage annual pay increases in the future. Selectboard will consider effecting annual increases during the pay period following town meeting.

Tim Gibbs, Road Foreman will receive a pay increase to $15.30 effective the first payroll in March.

Ms. Graff and Tracy Borst, Town Clerk have discussed their assistant positions and how best to fill them. They will continue to work together to fill both.

THETFORD SELECTBOARD MINUTES

April 12, 2004

Motion to approve Check Warrant Report #12.1 (General Fund) in the amount of $17,883.85. (Brown/Spata) Unanimous.

Employees are signing up for the retirement plan that is effective January 1, 2004. There is a possibility of employees making contributions retroactive to July 2003. Ms. Graff will coordinate with the State Retirement representative.

Personnel Policy- Current personnel policies were reviewed and edited, and will be submitted to employees for comments.

Letters will be written to employees receiving pay increases, other than annual increases.

Ms. Graff recommends a standard form be used with employees to address employee performance. She will develop a form for the Selectboard to review.

Excess weight permits were signed by the Chair for C. Kenyon Construction, Apple Valley Trucking and Steven M. Bolles.

Ms. Graff and Ms. Borst left the meeting at 9:55 pm.

A substitute is needed to sell trash tickets on an occasional Saturday.

Ted Pogocar is interested in meeting with the Selectboard on May 24 to discuss the town's recreation committee. Topic will be discussed at 7:30 pm.

Recycling Committee Update-

John Fay of Greater Upper Valley Solid Waste Management District gave informative presentation of various recycling systems and associated costs.

Recycling Center permit from state does not need to be amended.

There is a meeting April 27 with the Zoning Board of Adjustment for the town subdivision.

Move to reconsider motion related to pay raise for Officer Jim Lanctot, made on April 5, 2004. (Brown/McMahon) Unanimous.

Motion to offer Jim Lanctot a raise in pay to $15.00 an hour, retroactive to March 29, 2004, as long as he remains Officer In Charge. (Brown/Spata) Unanimous.

Move to adopt the minutes of April 5, 2004 as amended. (Brown/Spata) Unanimous

Reviewed VT state definition of rural and urban municipality.

Move to adjourn at 10:25 pm. (Brown/McMahon) Unanimous.

Last Modified 4/2004 by Bill Weyrick