Thetford Select Board Meeting


THETFORD SELECTBOARD MINUTES

May 9, 2005

 

PRESENT: Mary Spata, John Bacon, Doug Stone, Mike Brown, Mark McMahon, Marilyn Cook (clerk)

GUESTS: Joe Anthony, Police Chief

 

Meeting called to order at 7:03 pm by Mary Spata.

 

Police Department report:

Chief Anthony wants more accountability in the police department and will have police officers fill out travel logs.

Police Department will work with summer camps in the area.

 

Mark McMahon, Arlene Palmer and Peter Blodgett joined the meeting at 7:10 pm.

 

A resident who expressed concern about unsafe drivers will be directed to the police department.

 

Selectboard and Chief Anthony discussed options for police department sign. They discussed a self-standing sign that would list all town office departments as well as the police department.

 

The Governor's Highway Safety Grant has been approved.

 

Wayne Parks, Ruth Dwyer, Tom Kent and Stuart Blood arrived at 7:25 pm.

 

The selectboard is interested in increased road patrol and speed enforcement.

 

Chief Anthony left the meeting at 7:30 pm.

Roberta Howard, Jennifer Davey, Mike Pomeroy joined the meeting at 7:40 pm. Laurie Ingalls and Steve Ingalls joined the meeting at 7:50 pm.

 

Draft Town Plan Review:

 

Following a discussion with community members the selectboard addressed its plan to present the draft of the Town Plan at the Public Hearing, as written by the Planning Commission, with recommendations for changes. Significant changes to the plan will require a 30-day public notice.

 

Public questions/concerns noted in review of Chapter 1, including Goal 1:

Ridgeline development is not specifically addressed or defined. Some feel it is addressed by limiting development on slopes and by limits on driveway lengths.

 

Goal 1- concerns about limiting power lines to undeveloped areas in the conservation districts. Will the road maintenance policy be used to dictate development?

 

Eliminating conservation and agricultural districts would address concerns of some residents who own property in those districts. Some question the change in value of properties put into the conservation district.

 

Stuart Blood left the meeting at 8:45 pm.

 

A By-Laws Advisory Committee to the Zoning Board is being formed. The selectboard requests names of those interested in being on the committee.

 

Wayne Parks, Ruth Dwyer, Tom Kent, Roberta Howard, Jennifer Davey, Mike Pomeroy, Laurie and Steve Ingalls, Arlene Palmer and Peter Blodgett left the meeting at 9:00 pm.

 

Statute for elimination of town auditor was reviewed. Town is obligated to have an annual audit completed.

 

Reviewed timesheets.

 

Reviewed copy of letter from Janet Stowell, Lister, to State of Vt. Department of Treasurer, responding to a question about how the consultant is being used by the Lister's office.

 

THETFORD SELECTBOARD MINUTES

May 9, 2005

 

Move to adopt resolution pertaining to going on record opposing any use of the State Education Fund that is outside of the laws original intent to make payments to school districts and supervisory unions for the support of education. Brown/Bacon. Unanimous

(A copy of the resolution in its entirety is available at Town Hall)

 

Motion to sign a Petition to the Public Safety Service Board to open an investigation into the terms and conditions of streetlight services offered by Central Vermont Public Service to municipalities and other local political subdivisions in its service territory. (Spata/Bacon) Unanimous

 

Selectboard received a copy of an ACT 250 question and answer sheet between The District Environmental Commission and Verizon regarding a cell tower request on John Quail property. This information is available at town hall during business hours.

 

A 'No Parking' sign is needed in front of the fuel tank at the town garage.

 

Ellis Paige joined the meeting at 9:20 pm.

 

There is need for metal clean up at the recycling center.

 

Motion to pay Eugene Goodall $200 to remove steel accumulated on Green Up Day. (Stone/Brown) Unanimous.

 

Mark McMahon will meet with V-Trans on Wed to discuss the Sayer Bridge project. Doug Stone will arrange to have the pavement patched. Potholes in Union Village and on Academy Rd are also needed. A granite post needs to be put back in the ground on Library Rd.

 

Mr. Paige left the meeting at 9:30 pm.

 

Doug Stone and Bob Merchant viewed Gove Hill Bridge. Recommendations and repair estimates will be made.

 

Motion to approve Check Warrant Reports:

#8.3 Special Revenue $2,847.50

13.2 Highway $21,589.42

16.1 General $16,986.56 (Brown/Spata) Unanimous.

 

The selectboard will limit to 15 minutes, public input/discussion of the town plan at the next meeting. Selectboard members who have questions about the plan should contact members of the planning commission.

 

Motion to accept the minutes of May 2, 2005, as amended (Brown/Stone) Unanimous.

 

An energy audit took place at the town garage.

 

Mary Spata distributed Tune-Up-For-Towns information.

 

Road Department:

Selectboard discussed a four day workweek for the road crew from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Four 'No Parking' signs are needed on Thetford Hill.

Doug Stone reviewed estimates for two paving projects.

Motion to contract with Blaktop to pave the lower section of Gove Hill Rd and a section of Godfrey Rd to Quail John Rd. (Bacon/Brown) Unanimous.

 

Motion to adjourn at 10:25 pm. (Spata/Stone) Unanimous.

Last Modified 8/2005 by Bill Weyrick