Notes: May 26, 1998 meeting of ThetNet Core team
Present: David Kelman, Bill Weyrick, Bob Crossett
- David Kelman reported that we have $2078 of local TE for
allocation prior to June 30, 1998 and $4000 of fund raising. We
will receive another $10000 from TLC funds to be used for a
projection unit for TA and Internet access.
- David reported that E-Rate is in some question as to the
funding. This uncertainty results in making decisions without
- David has purchased a projection unit for TE. He hopes to
purchase mores scanners for TE. ThetNet needs to purchase 25
Claris Home Page licenses and25 key server licenses for TE added
key served machines. Bob will get Key service pricing and Bill
will get Home Page pricing.
- With limited E-Rate funding, the decision as to whether to use
BlitzMail or FirstClass for e-mail is more difficult. Bob will
explore the total cost of a DEC Alpha 800 server (including
hardware, software, installation, installation of BlitzMail,
possibility of leasing a DEC Alpha 800) and verify the free nature
of BlitzMail for schools and try to locate less expensive FC
licenses from other sources.
- Donation Depot (603) 644-3120 voice mail, (603)645-9622 Frank
Eaton, is a source of older Macs. Also, Computer for Kids is
- Dave is hoping to use a trailer at TE for a lab of 12 Macs
with Ethernet wiring installed. Bob hopes to create several
clusters of Macs at TA to increase student access.
- A repair day during the week of June 16-19.
- A summer class offered at TA by Bill on August 5, 12, 19 6:30
&endash; 8:30 for two hours on creating and uploading web pages to
the ThetNet site.
- A TA open lab on a trial basis on Thursdays during August 6,
13, 20, 27. We need to create a policy for community use of the
- Bob and Dave need to begin work on 470 E-Rate form for the
calendar year 1999
- Library Federation needs a person to work on their web page on
The next ThetNet Core team meeting:
June 30th, 6:30 at TA library
- We need to locate filtering software - Screen Door is a recent
- Bob will check with Valley net on the option of dialing in to
them for Internet access for ThetNet rather than continuing with
The next ThetNet Steering Committee meeting
July 8th, 6:30 at TA library
- Library Federation Home Page
- ThetNet web posting policy and procedure
- Disclaimers for web links
Screen Door &endash; new www filtering technology
Notes Submitted by: Robert Crossett
Prepared for posting by: Bill Weyrick
Last Modified 5/27/98 by Bill